Quinoa is originated in the Andean region of Ecuador, Bolivia, Colombia & Peru. It’s not very common in Venezuela, at least not in my area. It’s actually a seed rather than a grain. The first time I ate it was here in the UK and I must say It’s great in salads or as a simple side dish. Cold or warm.
I decided to go for this quick salad for tonight’s dinner. The original recipe doesn’t have roasted tomatoes but fresh ones.
- 1 Cup of quinoa
- 2-3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 350g raw prawns with tail-shells on
- 250gr sherry plums tomatoes, cut in halves
- 6 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1 ripe avocado, halved, stoned, peeled and slived
- 100g Rocket
- Olive Oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 chilli finely chopped
- Salt & Pepper
1. Cook Quinoa – Place the Quinoa in a pan and add two cups of water. Bring to boil on high temp. Lower the temperature to the lowest setting and let it simmer for 10mins. Set aside.
2. Cook the tomatoes- Place the tomatoes in a tray, add some salt, pepper, dill and drizzle with olive oil. Place in the over and roast for 20 mins at 250C
3. Add a drizzle of olive oil in a large frying pan, add the spring onions,garlic, chilli and sweat for 2-3mins. Add the prawns and cook for another further 3 minutes, until the prawns are cooked through. Add some lemon & salt to taste.
4. Mix & toss all the ingredients together. Season with lemon, salt and pepper to taste and enjoy.