I hardly ever bake but it was the birthday/catch-up dinner of one of my friends. And as special something, I decided to bake this cake after finding this little beauty on the internet, actually on Nigella’s website. If you like Nutella, bake this ASAP. If you don’t step away If you bake this, you will end up with such a moist piece of cake. It’s amazing!!!! AMAZING!!!!!
For the cake
- 6 large eggs
- 1 pinch of salt for pasta water, to taste
- 125 grams unsalted butter soft
- 400 grams Nutella (1 large jar)
- 1 tablespoon(s) rum (More if you feel boozy) or water
-100 grams Ground
hazelnuts (I used walnuts)
-100 grams dark chocolate melted
For the icing:
100 grams Hazelnuts (peeled weight). (I just used silver balls decorations)
- 125 ml double cream
-1 tablespoon(s) rum
-125 grams dark chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/gas mark 4.
- Melt dark chocolate and set aside.
- Get 2 big bowls. In one, whisk egg whites and salt until stiff but not dry. In the other bowl, beat the butter and all the nutella together, add the rum or water, egg yolks and the ground walnuts.
- Fold in the cooled, melted chocolate and add a large dollop of egg white to lighten the mixture up. Beat the mixture up and gently fold in the rest for a third time.
- Pour into a tin and cook for 40 mins or until the cake’s beginning to come away at the sides. Let it cool on a rack
- For the icing: Add the cream, rum and chopped chocolate to a heavy-bottomed saucepan and heat gently. Once the chocolate is melted take it off the pan and whisk until it reaches the right consistency to ice the top of the cake.
- Un-mould and leave it on the base and the top with the decorations or nuts.
Get a piece & Enjoy!